Saturday 1 January 2011

The Big Fat Disappointments of 2010

Here are the products of 2010 that just didn't make the cut. The 'turkeys' of the year, if you will. It's a shame it had to end like this but hey, you gotta be cruel to be kind.

1: Rimmel Stay Matte Mousse FoundationI loved the normal Stay Matte foundation, so when I saw the mousse version, I thought "Hey, can't go wrong, huh?". Boy, was I wrong. This little devil is impossible to apply. It basically sets in an orange-y crust as soon as you put it on your face. You'd have to be the world's best blender to make this work. If I'm feeling extra tough, I sometimes soldier on with this foundation, because in truth the finish effect does 'Stay Matte', but it's a helluva price to pay.

2: Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer
I'd heard positive things about it, and was hopeful that this was the miracle that would rescue my oily t-zone, and keep my make-up on past lunchtime. I don't know whether this is a good primer, I never really gave it the time of day. It made my skin feel oily (or was that the velvet effect?) and helped me break out. I'm tempted to give this another whirl...but I'm scared.

3: Ecotools Blush Brush
Yes, this brush is soft, and it's pretty and it's good for the environmentblahblahblah. But in my eyes, it can never work as a good blush brush. The hairs are so densely packed, and it puts the colour on too strong and concentrated, so it doesn't achieve a flush of colour. It just helped me look sunburnt. It doesn't work as an effective powder brush either, my oils were seeping through like lava!
4: NO.7 Extravagant Lashes Mascara
I didn't speak too kindly of this mascara in my Mascara Manifesto post, so I'll cut the re-bop. Basically, the square brush stinks (in both senses of the word :S ) and this mascara takes you to Clumpy Express faster than you can say "Hey, isn't No.7 that really overpriced cosmetics brand?".

Blogger won't let me have the text above black. Sorry.

5: YSL Rouge Pure Shine Sheer Lipstick in 32 Frozen Mango
Imagine my excitement when I bought my first YSL item. Imagine then, my disappointment, when I found out this does (beg your pardon) f**k all. They really went to town on this 'sheer' business. All this product does is form a milky coat over your lips, which looks a bit lame, and it needs re-applying every couple of minutes. It smells nice, and the packaging is pretty, but I sure as hell didn't need to pay £20 for that.

2 comments:

LillianZahra said...

I'm also not a fan of No 7 mascaras - I've got a few with the £5 vouchers and always end up hating them. Must learn my lessons and not buy them! x

Unknown said...

Apparently the cheaper 17 mascaras are really good I am yet to try them though x