Friday 7 January 2011

Perfume Adverts - the Good

This 3-part serious will be called the 'Perfume Adverts: The Good, the Bad, and the just plain Ridiculous'.
Perfume adverts are seriously everywhere. It seems whenever you flick the channel, there'll be some form of semi-naked woman, whimpering in a groaning voice, appearing to be involving herself in some sort of hedonistic activity. Sadly, I love the over-sexualised perfume industry, and perfume adverts are a little pleasure of mine. Here are some top picks...

Georgio Armani Diamonds - Beyonce CampaignOk, let it be known, I love Beyonce. That woman could pop her name on a plastic bag filled with cow dung, and I'd buy three crates full. Whatever she touches turns to gold, or, more topically, diamonds. This advert shows the best sides of my girl B. She's fierce, she looks hotter than molten lava, and she sings like the absolute siren she is. And it's in black and white. Can I fault it? No.
Watch the advert here.

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle - Kiera KnightleyFirst of all, I love the song. I'm not actually a big Joss Stone kind of gal, but her voice with this track has that nice raspy quality, and it really makes this advert what it is. As for Kiera herself, all she does is pout copious amounts, flash some back cleavage and calls it a night. I like the reds and the golds in this advert, plus it really makes the perfume look like a real man-magnet. And I'm never one to turn that down...
Watch the advert here.

Dolce and Gabbana One - Gisele Bundchen Campaign
Gisele is one of those women that you could just look at for hours on end and still end up pondering how she got that ludicrously gorgeous bone structure. Then you begin to get jealous. Then you start feeling angry. Then you turn to eating Ferrero Rochers with tear stained cheeks. But that's a story for another day. There are some things I don't love about the advert. Sunglasses? With that dress? Really? Nevertheless, overall, I love the look of this advert. It's busy, they're all in a rush, but Gisele's husky tones never fail to make it back to base. She just looks like such a blast to hang out with, doesn't she?
Watch the advert here.

Moschino Cheap and Chic - I Love Love CampaignThis advert is waaay beyond my usual taste. You've probably noticed that some complimentary hues and a ferocious woman will satisfy me. This is something completely different, yet I still feel that it has a very unique quality about it. The narcotised model, the strange origami head-gear, that worrying innuendo with the bottle, it all moulds together to form something quite disquieting, but something quite wonderful as well. I'm not going to lie to you though, the perfume smells manky. Guess you can't have it all.

Miss Dior Cherie - Sofia Coppola/Maryna Linchuk CampaignYou know when you go on tumblr, and there are hoards of pictures that have been taken through some dusty, antiquey filter, with crisp little sun rays, capturing dainty little pink things, like shoes and telephones? Well, this advert is basically a whole 46 seconds of that. It epitomises Parisian chic, and makes most women who watch it either get on to Easy Jet to book a last minute flight to Paris, or onto Tesco.com buying a croissant. I guess the most logical thing would be to buy the perfume, but what's logical about advertising? NOTHING. No, but seriously, this advert makes me feel all warm and feminine inside. Thumbs up to Sofia!
Watch the advert here.

Gucci by Gucci - Raquel Zimmerman, Natasha Poly and Freja Beha Erichsen CampaignThere was a point in my youth when I had this advert on repeat. It has such a rich colour intensity, and I love this song. David Lynch is a famed director, and you can definitely see an artist's touch in this gem. I also adore the awkward dancing models, but I think that gives the advert it's charm. Because Blondie used to dance like she was a broken record. But it was really hot.
Watch this advert here.

Chanel No.5 - The Film Campaign with Nicole KidmanIf there's any justice in the world, this should well be in the 'Bad' and certainly in the 'Ridiculous' category. But I'm a sucker for cheese, and this is a big, fat, stinky slice of Stilton. So there's a storyline, there's costume changes, there's even a mild luurve scene, there's a 2 minute long cliche. And it's so goddamn romantic. I realise the dialogue is sometimes almost too cringey to bear, but come on, it's just so sweet. And they main guy: hello! Yes, I know, I'm pathetic. Now let's watch it again.
Watch this advert here.

And that about concludes it. Phwoar, this took my a while, but it was fun. Hope you guys like this list, and tell me, which adverts do you enjoy?
And remember to give me a cheeky like. Cause I like you. ;)

No comments: