Saturday 8 January 2011

Moulin Rouge? Hell no.

Yesterday I watched Moulin Rouge, and I'm not going to lie, having heard so much about it, I was pretty excited. Well, I'm sorry to break it to you, but Moulin Rouge is not a good film. Quite plainly, it's a bad film. So bad, I didn't even bother watching till the end.It's been hyped for having one of the most captivating love stories ever seen on film, but Nicole Kidman (or Satine) is made out to be such a slag, you'd be convinced she'd jump into bed with any penniless broad.
Moreover, the woman can't sing. Ewan McGregor's not bad at all, and I do admit he is slightly charming, but as for the female protagonist, I was extremely underwhelmed. To be honest, I think the main problem with this film is casting Nicole Kidman as Satine.Hello, Ghostlike.

Nicole Kidman suits roles like this:Isn't she gorgeous?

But in Moulin Rouge, she's meant to be a siren, a sinner, a saint and a bubbling sexpot bubbling to the brim with female energy. The elfin features just don't cut it. I can think of dozens of more suitable actresses for the role. (Think Winslet, Johansson, even Theron). Basically, someone that'll make matte red lips look good. There was little, if any chemistry between the two actors, and while I admit that the film is very rich and lavish visually, the story and acting just doesn't match up."Wait for the 'cut', waaaaaiiit for iiiiit"

I'm also not too keen on the hysterical attempts to make this film as modern as possible. 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' playing in Bohemian Paris = perverse.The guy in the bottom right hand corner made me so angry.

Perhaps, if he captured the true feel of the city, a real sizzling love story and some really powerful musical numbers, Baz Luhrmann would have been able to make one of the best guilty pleasures of the century.For now, I think he'd better stick to the advertising field.
Thank the lord for that.

6 comments:

Eiliyah said...

Sorry you didnt like it, but we're all different like that ofc! :) personally i like it.

The Sparkly Poo said...

@Felmake1 - of course. I know that this film is hugely popular, but I always seem to go against the hype :D Like, I hated Inception! Thank you for your comment :) x

Unknown said...

I think this film is over rated personally x

Unknown said...

I think this film is over rated x

Kate said...

I watched Moulin Rouge when it came out in the cinema and absolutely hated it, but I got really into it when I was at uni, it definitely needs a couple of viewings to be appreciated. Agree that Scarlett J would have been a better choice of female lead, but I think she was quite young when this came out.

The Sparkly Poo said...

@The Beautiful Blog - Yes, that's definitely what it is :P

@Kat - I forget this film is 10 years old now. Maaaaybe I'll give it another whirl ;)

x